23 February 2017

last post?


Just to let you know that this blog is probably not going to go on any longer. For 8 full years I wrote small things on twitter and then saved whichever ones I felt (sort of) worked, here. I loved that; it became an intrinsic part of my own identity over that time. But then we went into 2016, which turned out to be a particularly trying and unsatisfying year - for many of us, I suspect! I fell spectacularly out of love with twitter, for one thing, having to take extended breaks from it; and was feeling increasingly awkward about my (purposefully!) trivial stuff when the world is erupting with such political, religious and social ideological insanity. My writing was dull and repetitive; it was clear that I was just going through the motions.

With the new year, I decided to kill off my @forgottenworks identity. I apologise to all my friends and readers there for doing so and disappearing without explanation or saying goodbye. I very much appreciate your haiku companionship over the years, it meant (and means) a great deal to me. It wasn't you I needed to get away from, but ... other stuff :-)

So:

I'm not writing (#notwriting) and, having committed twitter-suicide, I have no social media reach whatsoever. I expect I'll find my writing-self again one day but for now, and however long it takes, I need a break from all of that.

[I do have another twitter account but it's mainly for reading, keeping up to speed with world craziness to whatever extent I can bear; perhaps some sporadic, half-hearted attempts at ku to perplex people with no interest in it - but nothing really there to draw you to it. Although things may change in the future if I rediscover some verve and a direction in which to aim it. That's @quotidianaut if you want to pop by and say hi.]

If you need to contact me by email, don't use the one in my profile here (I've tried to amend it but for some reason Settings won't let me). Use THIS one:

landlockedmarkh@gmail.com

Thank you. And sorry for being a bit of a misery ;-)

Mark




8 comments:

  1. Hey, man, thank you..best wishes...pajamas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings on all you do, and where every you go.
    I hope, in time, the road leads you right back here.
    Grant

    ReplyDelete
  3. pyjamas, Grant, thank you both so much.
    I expect that in time I'll be able to get used to writing in quiet, away from the noise of social media. It may even help!
    But I'm going to sift through this blog archive to compile my own personal selection. It may be that I start a new blog in which case I'll be sure to get a forwarding address to you. I'm looking forward to spending more time reading, especially your pages. I do keep up to speed, I just need to learn some commenting skills!
    Real life has reared up with some fierce things to deal with in the next month or two but I hope I'm not away for too long.
    Thank you again. And to all who have visited.
    -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've much enjoyed, albeit only occasionally viewed, your words. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll miss your haiku on Twitter, but I do understand burn-out (I'm almost there with the Morning Porch). Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog tonight, sorry to read you won't be posting here anymore. I love haiku and other forms of poetry. Good luck with your new pursuits, wherever that leads you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog tonight, sorry to read you won't be posting here anymore. I love haiku and other forms of poetry. Good luck with your new pursuits, wherever that leads you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandra, Dave, Thank you both very much for your comments.

    And Geraldine, thank you for visiting, I hope you will browse through some of my archive - although it's a bit messy and a better suggestion would be to click the "Best Of" button at the top to read my three collections of earlier stuff over at Scribd!

    Just to mention that I am in the process of setting up a new blog, which will be at http://bftlmarkh.blogspot.co.uk/
    but at the moment I'm still wrestling with Blogger's templates and there is no proper content there while it's taking shape.
    I mentioned above that real life concerns are necessarily taking priority: my partner has just had surgery and is now facing chemotherapy and then radiotherapy, so that will dominate most of this year. Also, our son is soon to sit his GCSE exams, so haiku will just have to fit in as and when. All the best to everyone reading here :-)

    ReplyDelete