1 May 2010

manifest - d'oh!


Recently, I have discovered a Japanese/International five-line poetry form called Gogyohka. It is closely related to Tanka, out of which it has grown, but is modern, free from the burden of centuries of tradition and complex Rules, and there is no syllable-counting. It can be as short as the shortest English-language haiku - or as long as it needs to be.

Here is the Wiki entry for Gogyohka if you would like to find out more. I have also joined the online community at http://gogyohka.ning.com/ where there is a steadily growing membership and an active forum. Do take a look.

Now ...
I like to think that a certain quality-control is evident on these pages, even if my haiku may fall short of that required by the editors of prestigious journals. In trying to second-guess the preferences of editors, I have succeeded only in tying myself in knots and strangling my own creativity. I have found writing so much more difficult because I was forgetting to write for myself.

At the same time, this blog has been getting a bit same-y. While I will always love haiku, I will be exploring other forms, such as gogyohka, haibun, sixwords and monostich, to give this page - and me - a good shake up.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info! Monostich is another one I'm unfamiliar with. I'll look that up, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,
    For the monostich, or one-line poem, teleport straight over to Grant Hackett's blog, Falling Off the Mountain (see my blog-list, lower right, for the link).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark, Wishing you all the best on your poetical journey! Writing for oneself is the key stance. Wonderful that you have chosen to let us know what you are experiencing. With great admiration, Grant

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks, Grant.
    May take a week or two to get back up to speed, though, from a standing start.

    ReplyDelete